Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's Almost Spring Break

Navrus Celebration:

Last Monday we were invited to a celebration at the GMUz Garage.  This is the headquarters for the folks who move the cars out on trucks.  They also drive buses for employees and personal vehicles for those of us not allowed to drive.  I have heard that the department is around 600 people.  At least a couple hundred of them were at the party.  The place was set up like a wedding reception.  In our party was one young lady from China.  When we arrived we thought she was the only female in the entire room.  There were four other women who came.  They were all performers.  Some of the music was not good.  When one of the women was singing I leaned over to my Chinese friend and asked her if this one was on her iPod.  She got close to my ear and said no, this is suicide music.  I had to laugh.  There was a young lady who sang as well.  She had a beautiful voice and sang up tempo songs.  She was very enjoyable.  One other thing I noticed, whenever a man was singing there would be a steady stream of guys going up to put money in his pockets.  I did not see anyone tip any of the women.  Most likely for the same reason that there were none invited to the party.

The food was not the best I'd had.  There were the usual almonds, pistachios, raisins, apples and pears.  The soup was a different one that has a sour component.  It reminded me of something Greek.  The osh had large pieces of fat in the bowl.  It was made of whole grain rice.  It was nowhere near as good as the Choi Xana.  To drink there was tea as well as some juice and soda.  As is my custom, I drank the tea.

Vacation:

I am headed over the mountain to Tashkent this Thursday, March 31st.  Friday I fly to Istanbul, JFK and then Nashville.  I'll be in Bowling Green for a couple of weeks.  I return to UZ on Sunday the 17th.  I fly Nashville to LaGuardia, shuttle to JFK then fly to Istanbul and Tashkent.  I'll be back to work on Tuesday the 18th.  I hope I get to see some of you while I'm in the USA.

Think about me while I'm traveling and be grateful for all you have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment