Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Another Day...Another Opportunity

Wow, 19 page views today!  I've never done this before so make comments either on the blog or via email.  I will not use names unless it is to give someone credit and even that would be with consent.  Thanks for the interest, I'll try to make it worth your time.

Follow-up:
For those who like to fly Google Earth, the coordinates of the plant in UZ are:
40 degrees, 39' 20" N
72 degrees 14' E

If you'd like to see pictures, go to Google Maps, type in Asaka, Uzbekistan.  You will see a picture of the plant.  If you click on Images, you can see a number of pictures including some of the plant's products.

New Business:
I am trading emails with a guy I know who just returned from UZ.  He described it more bleakly than my UZ boss, which seemed bleak enough.  Dreaming in Russian takes a toll on the restfulness of my sleep.  The two together had me moving very slowly today.  The phone rang so I sprang to life.  It was an IT guy trying to close a help ticket I had opened on New Years Eve.  I had been advised that I needed to be connected to the GM network to do what I was trying to do.  As a result, on New Years Day, I took my sisters to the plant.  We were on our way to Bruster's for a hot fudge sundae (Chocolate Raspberry Truffle YUM!!!).  Since the lobby was literally sealed up (asbestos abatement), I sat on the front porch to get a wireless connection and solved the problem myself.  I agreed to close the help ticket.  He then asked if there was anything else he could do for me.  He seemed to regret his question when my answer wasn't no.  I hosted a remote session with him and he fixed me up.  The computer is now more useful.  Yesterday I could not use Rosetta Stone or blog when connected through GM.  Today I can.

While on the phone with the IT guy, my boss called from Ingersoll Ontario.  She has a team of people doing the same thing there I am going to GMUZ to do.  She asked me if I would make a trip there, on my way to Uzbekistan.  I told her I would try to work it out.  Since my passport is still in Washington DC, I can't even go to Canada.  As soon as I get it back, I may make a two or three day side trip to Ontario.

My fingers are crossed hoping for the illusive telex number tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment