Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Work, Work, Work, Work and more Work

Sorry for going dark for a few days.  I am fine and acclimating well.  My typical day begins at 05:00.  I get up, read emails, stretch, workout, shower etc. and head to breakfast at 06:30.  The cook will make you eggs or oatmeal.  There is bread, jam and cheese on the table.  My standard is 1 egg and 2 pieces of toast with jam and cheese.  On Sunday I had an omelet.  I don't want to eat that much for breakfast and I just love the cheese and jam.

At 7:15 we all meet in the courtyard, where the drivers pick us up.  We head to the plant.  The drivers get us past the guys with the guns, then we walk a half a mile or so on the complex, to the office.  So far our time has been spent working through terrible data, writing business processes and training folks.  The reason I am here is because GM has implemented the material ordering and inventory management system we use in the USA and many other places around the world.  The data here is just terrible.  It will be 4-6 weeks before we get the system purified to work properly.  It is really a shame no one was here to lead that had a clue until it was too late. 

Computer connectivity issues are frustrating.  Some days we sit for 2-3 hours waiting for the network to return.  When there is so much to be done it is very frustrating to have those kinds of issues.  To complicate things, the system I normally run is in Plano TX, but this one is in Adelaide, Australia.  This has given me security challenges that I am still trying to overcome.

On the non-work side of things; B&N won't let me buy Nookbooks due to international copyright laws and VAT issues.  I didn't plan well enough for that.  I downloaded a bunch of samples but I want to buy a book and can't.  Since I left the actual Nook at the house, Hanna is going to try to buy one for me.  Theoretically, I should then be able to download it onto my phone.  Here's hoping.

Cat and I Skyped tonight.  God it was good to hear her voice.  The IMs are cool but there is nothing like a voice.  She was on her phone so I got no picture but I really did appreciate just talking.  I Skyped with Hanna a couple of days ago.  She had dogs in her room that went nuts when they heard my voice.  We had video so I could see.  It was fun.

We finally went to a little store yesterday evening.  I got 2 Snickers for another guy, a small box of laundry soap and a couple of beers.  It was 15,400 UZS.  That is about $9.30 using the government fixed exchange rate or $7 if you change your money at a (black) market rate.  The beer was Russian and was pretty good.

I'm off to bed.  Post questions and I'll do my best to answer.  I do plan on starting a photo album on FB soon so friend me if you want to see pictures.

PEACE
OUT

5 comments:

  1. Jim -- great to see an update from you. I have a Nook and I can "loan" you books for fourteen days at a time if I have something that you wish to read. I can send you a Facebook message with the titles that I have (not a lot, got mine for Christmas and just getting going). People are starting to trickle back into the plant this week. Staff has spent most of the day in meetings about HRM matters, etc. I'm going to send your blog address out to the PMN group and see if we can't improve your communication opportunities. Hope your connectivity improves soon -- we don't want you to have to stay there any longer than necessary.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy-
    I have a Nook also. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you on that front. I am totally enjoying your blog! It's so you. Glad to hear the weiners were happy to hear from Daddy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound well. Have passed your link along to several folks here in C'dale. . .they are very interested in hearing about the adventures! I can just imagine the doggies! I hear Hazel is quite the Oreos girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do appreciate all of the Nookbook offers. I'll let you know if the current plan does not bear fruit. From what B&N has told me, I think Hanna should be able to hook me up.

    ReplyDelete