Friday, January 14, 2011

Arrival in Asaka

Follow-up:
I have absolutely no cell service.  Email is the only way to contact me other than to comment on this blog or via Skype, if you see me there.  I was not able to connect my phone at the plant because the wireless signal is too weak.  The only e-mail account I will see during the day is my GM one.  If the matter is not urgent, I'll get to both my yahoo and wku accounts each evening.

New Business:
We made it today.  As expected we had breakfast and the driver appeared at about 8:10AM.  The trip was about 5 hours.  Tashkent appeared nice and was very colorful.  After we left the city we drove for about 4 hours before we saw anything that wasn't brown, gray or white.  The snow capped mountains were nice but the rest...blah.  There is a great deal of poverty.  I was really humbled by just how fortunate I really am.  Along the way we saw a few interesting things:
  1. A street sweeper (woman with a broom).
  2. Road crews (men with shovels).
  3. Hundreds of men in fur hats.
  4. Thousands of cars that all looked alike.
  5. Cars with frame structures on them to carry cargo, like furniture, firewood or whatever.
  6. Many broken down cars.
  7. The number of lanes on the road is variable based on driver interpretation.
  8. Lines on the road, if any, are not really used for any purpose.
  9. Surprisingly, no accidents.
  10. Pipe lines, I suspect natural gas, above ground right next to the road.
  11. Housing that all pretty much looks alike.  Corrugated steel roofs, walls of cement or some similar material and a gate or garage size door, with a man door in it.
  12. Goats crossing the road.
  13. A cow in the road.
  14. Many donkeys pulling carts full of wood or straw or whatever.
  15. Roads that are in worse repair than the ones in Detroit.
  16. AK47s, lots of AK47s.
  17. A rest room where everyone uses the same towel.  (I used my jeans thank you).
  18. A passport checkpoint in the middle of the country.  (Everywhere you go you must be registered so that the government knows where you are.  If you leave a place for 3 days, you have to register again upon your return.)
Now I am in my room in the cottage.  It is 10x12 with a closet and a bathroom.  Furnishings are a bed, a nightstand with a lamp, a desk and chair and a mirror on the wall.  The common area is a large foyer, kitchen and a gathering room with TV and surround sound.  It is now my bedtime as I plan to use the treadmill in the next cottage over before breakfast and off to work.

Thanks for your interest and please don't forget about me!!!

8 comments:

  1. Of course we will not forget you -- you are on a grand adventure and we are living vicariously through you! In Honduras they always said, you haven't really been to Honduras until you have had a flat tire and have been stopped by livestock in the road. And the issue of lines and lanes on the road is the same as in Turkey -- esp. Istanbul. . .another reason Kari & I stayed in the back of the van. . .what you don't see is sometimes a blessing! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! What a journey. I was thinking of you as my commute in Indiana was hampered by the snow. They received about 6 inches while I was there. I am pleased to be back in Kentucky and back at the plant Tuesday.
    While in Indiana... I had need to call the material department and my first thought was you were going to be tough to reach!! lol... Kevin and the crew heard my plea and helped me out.

    Keep on writing!!!! and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thought.... You could have traveled to Glasgow to see cows, goats, donkeys, horses and pigs in the road.... All on my street.... With me contributing to the cows and horses being in the road ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah pshaw... you are a fading memory. What Kim said: get your ownself an AK-47! (it would make a great FB profile pic.)

    If it wasn't this, your blog would be Jim's Big UZ Nothing Special.

    BTW: I pronounce UZ as ooze in my mind's ear. UZ -rhymes with Buzz- isn't as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you, daddy! I keep missing you on Skype. Or rather you keep missing me. :P It's okay though, you're a busy, busy man. I miss you very much! I'm glad you're safe and that people have been nice. I hope you're liking it there, but not too much since I want you to want to come home. ;)I can't wait to talk to you finally! I loveeeee you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see that you have made it safely and that you are getting settled. Keep the posts coming so that we can see what is new in the life of you. I am sure there is going to be alot of fun comments to come. Stay safe and just for the record, we are not going to forget about you "boss". Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim -- So glad to see that you made it, will admit that unless I see a change in post tone, that I am probably going to take this place off my "must" see list -- will live vicariously through your trip there. Be careful, be safe. We will keep you posted on all the fun here in BG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Jimmy! Loving the blog. Back from Canada and now catching up on your experiences. Keep in touch MR!

    ReplyDelete